How To Get Rid Of Mosquitoes With Vinegar
Did you know that vinegar is one of the best products used to repel mosquitoes? That’s right, mosquitoes hate the smell of vinegar, and therefore, by using it correctly, you can deter mosquitoes from infesting your home and biting you at night. In this oneHOWTO article, we aim to show you different natural homemade remedies and methods you can use to repel mosquitoes. We will also tell you exactly how to get rid of mosquitoes with vinegar.
Using vinegar to repel mosquitoes
Due to its acidic nature, vinegar is a product that is effective in combating and eliminating bacteria, fungi and other microorganisms. Vinegar is also incredibly effective in driving away insects, such as mosquitoes.
Vinegar has a very intense and penetrating smell that is very unpleasant for mosquitoes. Therefore, if these insects smell or come into contact with this liquid and aroma, they tend to avoid it. By using vinegar correctly, it will aid in keeping your home free from mosquitoes during the hot summer season, a time when their presence is prevalent.
How to use vinegar to repel mosquitoes
There are different ways in which you can use vinegar as a mosquito repellent. These different methods include;
Vinegar in a glass
This method is very simple. All you have to do is fill a glass with white vinegar and place it on a surface in your chosen area. The smell that the vinegar will expel will keep the mosquitoes well away. In addition, if you place the filled vinegar glass next to a windows, it can also function as a good way of preventing mosquitoes from entering your home.
Vinegar and citronella repellent
You can also prepare a homemade mosquito repellent by combining vinegar with citronella. Citronella is another great existing natural product sometimes used to repel these small insects. In fact, mosquitoes find the citrus fragrance of citronella unbearable.
You simply have to dilute about 10 drops of citronella oil in 30 ml of olive oil and add 1 tablespoon of vinegar to the mixture. Place the bottle with the mixture in your chosen areas or use it with as a spray.
Repellent of vinegar and eucalyptus oil
Essential eucalyptus oil is a perfect remedy to use to drive away mosquitoes. Like the above mentioned oils, eucalyptus fragrance is unbearable for a mosquito.
Mix 1/3 cup of vinegar with 1/3 cup of alcohol and 10 drops of eucalyptus essential oil. Pour the mixture into a spray- bottle and spray the mosquito infected areas!
Trap mosquitoes with vinegar
Another way to chase away mosquitoes is by trapping them. In the case of making a homemade trap for mosquitoes, we suggest using apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar has a sweet smell that will attract the mosquitoes to the trap, allowing you to then catch them and get rid of them. Follow this step by step;
- Pour some apple cider vinegar into a bottle.
- Make a funnel with a piece of paper and place it in the mouth of the bottle.
- Place the bottle in the area of your home where mosquitoes are prevalent.
- The mosquitoes, attracted by the aroma of the apple vinegar, will enter the bottle through the funnel, thus trapping themselves.
If you do not have a bottle, you can also do it with a tall glass.
Home remedies to repel mosquitoes
In addition to vinegar, there are other home remedies recommended to keep mosquitoes well away from your home. These remedies include;
- Lavender repellent: add 100 ml of lavender essential oil to your skin moisturizer. This ointment on your skin will act as a repellent avoiding mosquitoes from biting you at night.
- Lemon with cloves: place some cloves in the middle of a lemon and place it in different parts of the house, such as next to the windows. The smell of these ingredients mixed together will keep mosquitoes away.
- Lemon or orange leaves: boil a few lemon or orange leaves and then put them in an uncovered container. Place the container at the point of the house you want to protect.
- Mosquito repellent plants: there are many plants that can be placed in the garden, terrace, windows, etc., to scare away and eliminate house mosquitoes. The most common mosquito plants repellents include; citronella, eucalyptus, basil, cat mint and calendula.
If you want to read similar articles to How To Get Rid Of Mosquitoes With Vinegar, we recommend you visit our Maintenance and home security category.