How to Remove Limescale from Shower Glass
Different areas of the home use glass in different ways. This means they become dirty in different ways. The living room, kitchen and bedroom will have different levels of humidity, different uses for the glass and different contaminants. In the bathroom, usually the most humid room in the home, the shower is often the dirtiest glass we can find. Although we wash ourselves, we usually use the shower at least once a day and the bathroom for other things multiple times. All of this collates and we can find there is a significant build up of limescale on the shower glass after only a short time. If we leave it for a long time, it can be very difficult to remove it.
At oneHOWTO, we explain 6 easy methods for how to remove limescale from the shower glass. There will be at least one which will be perfect for your situation.
White vinegar to remove shower glass limescale
White vinegar is a common solution to remove limescale from glass. It is a natural acid that does not endanger our health or the integrity of the glass. It can be applied without the need to take great precautionary measures. In addition, it is very easy to find and has many other uses in the home. Discover how to remove lime fromscale from shower glass with ths method:
- Wet a sponge with vinegar and wipe the glass.
- Wait 30 minutes for the vinegar to act on the glass and remove the accumulated build up.
- Clean the shower glass again with lukewarm water to remove any remaining limescale and the application of vinegar. This way will prevent the acid from becoming too impregnated in the glass and forming other types of stains.
In these related articles, we explain household uses for vinegar and whether you can sue vinegar on marble floors.
Lemon to remove limescale on shower glass
Water stains from the shower and limescale can be removed with white vinegar, but it has an even greater effect if we use lemon. Not only will it make the shower glass sparkling, it will add a lemony smell to brighten up the bathroom. To apply this mixture correctly and learn how to remove limescale with lemon, follow this step by step guide:
- In a bowl, mix the white vinegar and lemon juice. Pour in the same amount of both liquids.
- Apply the mixture by moistening a cloth or sponge: wipe it directly on the areas stained by the water on the glass.
- By applying this solution of vinegar and lemon, you will make the lime and accumulated mineral deposits disappear from the glass. Clean it as usual.
In this related article, we find out how to clean with lemon for more general household purposes.
Alcohol, water and vinegar to remove limescale
To clean dirty shower glass which has limescale deposits, you can make a homemade cleaner with rubbing alcohol, water, and vinegar. Mis these in equal parts and apply the solution like this:
- Spray the mixture on the glass.
- Use a soft cloth to spread the solution over the entire surface.
- Pass over a squeegee if necessary in areas where there is accumulated limescale that does not come off easily when just wiping the cloth or sponge.
- Rub the glass in downward to upward motions.
- Finally, apply a specific glass cleaner to remove the mixture made with alcohol, water and vinegar.
Ammonia and dish soap to remove limescale from shower glass
Sometimes you can find very dirty shower glass, perhaps due to neglect. When not cleaned for a long time, there can be a serious accumulation of limescale and stains caused by water.
In these cases, you should apply a more powerful product such as ammonia, but do so with caution. It is a dangerous chemical which can be harmful to you if not prepare and applied carefully. Here we can find out how to remove limescale with ammonia safely:
- Fill a bowl with 2 L of hot water.
- Add a half cap of ammonia and the same amount of dishwasher detergent to the bowl.
- Use gloves to moisten a sponge or microfiber cloth with the mixture and wipe it over the glass.
- Make circular movements with the sponge over the glass to remove and remove the accumulated limescale. If there are very hard or thick parts, you can use a squeegee or similar glass-safe utensil.
- Dry the glass with absorbent paper or newspaper to avoid streaks.
The shower is one of the hardest parts of the home to clean if it is neglected. There are also tricky situations depending on how the shower is built. To learn more, take a look at our article on how to clean the shower door.
Hydrogen peroxide to remove limescale
Moisture is one of the main problems for shower glass. For this reason, glass that is usually exposed to high humidity requires powerful cleaning products, such as hydrogen peroxide, to remove mold and lime accumulated on the surface. We may not think of it as being useful, but the oxygen will help us to have the perfectly shiny shower glass we crave.
- Spray the bathroom glass with a little hydrogen peroxide.
- Wait about 2 minutes for the product to act.
- As always, if there are parts with very encrusted limescale or with a thick layer, it is best that you also scrape with a squeegee for glass or ceramics.
- Clean the glass by mixing a little soap and water or a glass cleaner to remove all debris. Be sure to rinse and dry thoroughly afterwards.
One of the keys to preventing bathroom windows from accumulating too much limescale, moisture and mold is ventilation. Try to open the window and the door so that the air can circulate and remove the humidity from the bathroom.
Car windshield cleaner to remove limescale
Car windows also accumulate dirt, especially from rain water stains or even water from the hose. This is very similar to how dirt can build up on the shower glass, even if they have very different uses. For this reason, windshields need a strong product to clean them and it might be useful to transfer this application to the bathroom. The windshield cleaning product is very useful, but needs to be applied to the shower glass using the following steps:
- Take a large bucket and fill it with water.
- Use the car windshield cleaner, but make it half as times as strong as how you would use it on your car.
- If there is any chance of this being harmful to your skin, don rubber gloves.
- Put the solution in a spray bottle and spray it all over the glass, not just the areas with limescale.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes, then wash off the solution.
- Rinse with water and use the squeegee to finish off the glass.
For some more general ideas, take a look at our article on tips for cleaning glass and windows. For more specific help, take a look at how to remove watermarks from glass.
If you want to read similar articles to How to Remove Limescale from Shower Glass, we recommend you visit our Home cleaning category.