How to Clean a Washing Machine With Baking Soda
While it may be obvious to some, many people don't think of the importance of cleaning their washing machine. As it is a machine which cleans clothes, they think that it is essentially self-cleaning. However, a washing machine can collect dirt and grime easily. Even if such dirt is not obviously visible in the metal drum, the interior elements can be very dirty. The result is that bacteria can breed and the machine can start to smell. In turn, this makes the washing machine inefficient and eventually it may stop working.
However, you do not need to be alarmed. oneHOWTO shows you just how easy cleaning a washing machine can be. You don't need to call in a professional or take it apart. Simply read our guide on how to clean a washing machine with baking soda and you should be set.
Why use baking soda for washing machines?
There are many products on the market which can clean your washing machine. They are often well-produced and may be just what you need to clean your washing machine. However, not all are effective and some can be quite expensive. They are also often made from chemicals which are harmful to the environment. For this reason, you may be better off using something inexpensive which will cause minimal ecological harm.
A very effective and inexpensive product you can use to clean your washing machine is baking soda. This is a solid crystalline compound which is a homemade descaler. It also eliminates the bacteria which can promote bad smells from the washing machine.
To clean your washing machine with baking soda, the steps are very easy:
- Fill half a cup of baking soda.
- Place into the detergent compartment of your washing machine (not the fabric softer compartment).
- Set a standard wash on 40 ºC.
Now that you know how to use baking soda to clean your washing machine, you may want to know some other techniques to provide sparkle, such as adding vinegar to a wash. If your washing machine is very dirty, check out the next section.
How to clean a washing machine with baking soda and vinegar
If cleaning your washing machine with baking soda alone doesn't work for you, your washing machine may be dirtier than expected. In this case, you will need another method to descale and remove all the remains of dirt. To do this, you can make a mixture of baking soda and vinegar, two natural products with antiseptic and cleansing properties.
To make this home remedy, these are the steps you must follow:
- Put a splash of vinegar in a glass, so that it fills half.
- Add tablespoons of baking soda until the mixture thickens.
- Stir until you get a uniform paste.
- Place some of the mixture on the areas that have resisted the first baking soda wash.
- Leave it on for a few hours and remove it with a clean cloth until it is dry and check the results.
If you find it difficult to remove mold from rubber or other parts of the appliance, we recommend this other article on how to remove the smell from your washing machine.
Tips for cleaning the washing machine
The washing machine is one of the most important appliances in our home since it ensures that our clothes are clean, something which is necessary for our overall health. That is why we must maintain it correctly. If you want to prevent it from spoiling, now that you know how to clean the washing machine with baking soda, we provide a series of maintenance tips that will ensure that your washing machine is always ready:
- Do not overload the washing machine because it can damage your clothes and damage the appliance.
- Keep the washer lid open after each wash to allow ventilation inside.
- Keep the rubber seal of the machine clean with bleach as this is where the most dirt accumulates. If you do not know how to do it, in this other article we will tell you how to clean the inside of a washing machine.
- Clean the filter from time to time. It is a tiresome task, since we must empty and unplug the washing machine and clean the remains of water, but it is the filter where all the remains of dirt and detergent accumulate.
- Carry out hot water washes with white vinegar and then let it air throughout the day. Also put a little baking soda in the drum to remove the bad smell from the washing machine.
- Clean the drawer from time to time, i.e. the place where you put the detergent and fabric softener. It can accumulate traces of dirt that enter the drum with each wash. If the detergent is in powder form, this build-up will be even greater.
- Try to perform these cleaning maintenance at least once a month if you make frequent use of the washing machine. This will prevent the situation from getting worse and, as a consequence, you will need to replace it sooner than you should.
If you want to know more tips to keep your washing machine in good condition, take a look at this other article on how to extend the life of your washing machine.
If you want to read similar articles to How to Clean a Washing Machine With Baking Soda, we recommend you visit our Maintenance and home security category.