How to Wash Pattu Sarees at Home
The saree, the versatile Indian women's wear is the most elegant dress a woman can wear. There are many different types of fabrics used for making various kinds of sarees. One of the most elegant fabrics is silk which is also known as “Pattu” in South India. The best Pattu saree of south India is the Kanchipuram silk. It is elegant, beautiful and is a combination of the most vibrant colors available. But maintaining these sarees so that the saree can retain its glory for a long time is the really hard job, as silk is quite delicate. In this oneHOWTO article we will tell you how to wash pattu sarees at home.
You may also be interested in: How to Wash Cashmere at Home Step by Step
Hand washing a Pattu Saree without detergent
- First of all, take a basin and fill it with cold water or lukewarm water.
- Then, submerge the saree in the basin filled with water.
- Let the saree soak for at least 3 – 5 minutes. Never leave the saree too long in water.
- Now take out the saree and then gently plunge it in the basin again. Repeat this process 3 – 4 times.
- Take out the saree and hang it on a cushioned hanger so that the excess water drips down.
- Finally hang it on a drying rack in the shade.
Hand washing a Pattu Saree with mild detergent
- At first take a basin and fill it with cold water or lukewarm water.
- Add a few drops of mild detergent in the basin full of water. Make sure that the detergent does not contain any harsh chemicals, which can damage the fabric of your pattu saree. If you don’t have any mild detergent then you can use protein shampoo or baby shampoo as a substitute.
- After adding the detergent / shampoo move your hand around in the water till it lathers and bubbles start to appear.
- Then submerge the saree in the basin.
- Let the saree soak for at least 3 minutes. Never leave the saree too long in water as it can damage the fabric.
- Now take out the saree and then gently plunge it in the basin again. Repeat this process 3 – 4 times. This motion is similar to the motion of washing machine, only gentler. It will help the dirt to move out of the fabric and in to the water.
- Now take out the saree from the basin and drain out the soapy water. Then fill the basin again with clean cold water. Take the saree and plunge in again in the basin.
- Then take out the saree from the basin and rinse it under cold water. Since, saree is a long garment, start from one end and gently rinse it under water one part at a time till the whole saree is clean and there are no soap suds.
- Take out the saree and hang it on a cushioned hanger so that the excess water drips down. You can also place it on a clean towel on a flat surface. The towel will absorb the excess moisture.
- Once the excess water is gone, you can hang the pattu saree on a drying rack in shade. Never dry a pattu saree under direct sunlight. It will weaken the fabric and also dulls the color.
Tips for washing Pattu Saree
- Avoid using detergent of soap to wash the saree for the first time. Gently rinsing it with cold water can be enough. If you have got some stain on the saree then apply soap only on that particular area.
- Next time you wash the saree, use a mild detergent. Never use an abrasive detergent to wash pattu sarees, as chemicals damage silk.
- If you can’t find a mild detergent then you can opt for a protein shampoo to wash your saree.
- Do not wash pattu sarees with other items of clothing.
- Never use a brush while washing the saree. Brushing it will cause abrasion and tear.
- Do not wring or twist the saree to remove excess water. Just hang it so that the water drips down.
- Never dry your pattu saree in direct sunlight.
If you want to read similar articles to How to Wash Pattu Sarees at Home, we recommend you visit our Home cleaning category.