How to Make Natural Homemade Mosquito Repellent
Surely mosquitoes have bitten you several times in your life and you want a repellent that could potentially drive them away. At the pharmacy they sell many types of mosquito repellents that are made with chemicals that can sometimes be harmful to the health of our skin. On OneHowTo we rely on natural remedies and so we have an article on how to make homemade mosquito repellent with products that either you have at home or that are very easy to acquire.
One way to keep mosquitoes away is by making a repellent with eucalyptus. Insects don't like the smell of this plant, therefore it works perfectly to avoid being bitten. You will need:
- 250 grams of eucalyptus leaves
- 1L of water
You should boil the water and, when it's boiling, add the eucalyptus leaves. Leave it to boil for about 45 minutes so all the aroma of the plant comes out of the leaves; pour the liquid into a spray container so that you can spray it on your skin and in areas such as windows and doors where you normally find mosquitoes.
If you have children, the best home-made repellent for mosquitoes you can apply is made from almond oil since it is an ingredient that promotes smooth skin for your children as well as keeping away mosquitoes. You need:
- 100 millilitres of almond oil
- 20 drops of essence of geranium
- 20 drops of basil oil
You just have to mix the three ingredients in a spray bottle to spray on your child's body. The aroma this ointment gives off is perfect for repelling mosquito bites, and is perfectly safe for your child.
Lavender is also a plant whose odour repels insects, so it is a good idea to make a repellent with lavender oil. For this you need:
- 100 millilitres of lavender oil
- Skin moisturizer
You only need to add oil to your regular moisturizer and apply it on your skin. The smell is delicious and also will keep mosquitoes at bay. It is impossible to beat this home remedy.
The aroma of basil also functions as a mosquito repellent, so both can help us to keep our home protected from the invasion of these insects to create a mixture to spread on the skin.
You can place different basil plants in the windows and doors of your home or you can get basil essential oils and put them on your body. Either way, you will be protected against mosquitoes.
You can also use neem oil to repel mosquitoes.
You can also make a mosquito repellent with camomile. For this, you just need to make some chamomile tea and apply it on your skin with a spray or cotton wool. Also, the properties of chamomile will make your skin silky and smooth.
Besides making mosquito repellents, you can follow some guidelines in your routine that will keep these insects away from your home. On OneHowTo.com we give these tips to avoid mosquitoes:
- If you have a garden or terrace, fill it with herbs like mint: the scent also repels mosquitoes creating a protective shield. Basil, as we've already mentioned, is also a good plant to get rid of mosquitoes as well as citronella.
- Eat foods that contain Vitamin C daily because these ingredients make you sweat more and, therefore, mosquitoes won't like your smell.
- The smell of vinegar is also perfect to ward off insects from the home, so it is advisable to put a full glass of vinegar by the window or in corners where mosquitoes group together.
- Learn how to make mosquito traps so that if they get into your house, they cannot back out.
Try out these remedies instead of buying repellent at the pharmacy and find out which one works better for you.
If you want to read similar articles to How to Make Natural Homemade Mosquito Repellent, we recommend you visit our Maintenance and home security category.