How to Descale a Dolce Gusto Coffee Machine
Automatic or capsule-based coffee machines, such as a Dolce Gusto machine, are very handy and practical for everyday use, whether at home or at work. One of their main advantages of this coffee machine is that they don't get dirty easily or need thorough daily cleaning. In addition, this method of making coffee is quicker than other methods such as instant coffee or a Moka pot.
The one thing about Dolce Gusto machines is that they do require descaling. Luckily for you, this process is easy! For more, keep reading here at oneHOWTO where we offer a detailed step-by-step of how to descale a Dolce Gusto machine.
- Dolce Gusto coffee machine
- Product for cleaning coffee machines
- Disposable container
Descaling Dolce Gusto
Are you wondering how to descale a Dolce Gusto machine? If so, follow these simple steps on how to descale a Nescafe Dolce Gusto machine:
Descaling Dolce Gusto: option 1
- The first step on our simply Dolce Gusto coffee machine manual is to get rid of capsules. In order to descale a Dolce Gusto machine, you should first remove any coffee capsules, if left inside.
- Next,check the Dolce Gusto capsule dispenser to make sure it’s empty. Once you’ve made sure it’s empty, put it back.
- Next, fill the water tank in your Dolce Gusto coffee machine up to about 500ml.
- Open the coffee machine descaler product (Liquid water descaling kit). You can find this product in supermarkets and hardware stores. If you can't find any, then you can descale Dolce Gusto with vinegar, but we don’t recommend this for automatic coffee machines. Read how can I clean my coffee make with vinegar.
- Pour the liquid contents of the Dolce Gusto descaling product into the tank with water. Make sure to follow the instructions on the packaging. Replace the tank onto the machine and turn it on.
- Place a container under the coffee spout, ideally something that you can easily discard or clean afterwards, as the descaler product can be toxic.
- Press the coffee machine button. Activate the water outlet as if you were going to whip up a coffee, emptying the tank and cleaning the Dolce Gusto machine. It is normal that the water appears cloudy at first. Repeat the process as many times as is necessary, emptying all of the liquid in the coffee machine.
- Then, fill the tank with clean water. Immediately refill the tank with clean fresh water to rinse out the Dolce Gusto descaling product properly. Once the water runs completely clear in color, your Dolce Gusto coffee machine has officially been descaled and cleaned properly, you can then use it as your normally would.
Descaling Dolce Gusto: option 2
- Fill the tank with water, descaling solution or vinegar.
- Make sure the pod is empty and arm is lowered.
- Press and hold down on the on/off button until it blinks.
Additionally, if you don’t have descaling solution or vinegar, you can also opt for citric acid to descale your coffee machine.
Descaling solution: homemade
So, you don’t have any descaler at home and are looking for an alternative descaler. Here are your two best options:
When using citric acid as a descaler we recommend using 1 part acid to 20 part water.
When using vinegar to descale a coffee machine, we recommend using a 50/50 ratio.
With both of the above methods, we recommend running water cycles 4-5 times to make sure all leftover taste and smell is well removed.
Red light flashing - Dolce Gusto machine
Have you noticed that your red light is flashing on your Dolce Gusto machine and are not sure why? In this case, after descaling it and cleaning it, the first thing you should do is turn it off and then on again (by pushing on/off button). If this doesn’t work, unplug it from the socket and then plug it back in.
Descaling coffee machine
If you’re a coffee lover, you may find these following coffee tip articles useful:
If you want to read similar articles to How to Descale a Dolce Gusto Coffee Machine, we recommend you visit our Maintenance and home security category.